Kitchen counter tops, cabinetry, and the sink & faucet

Oh man, just looking back through all these photos I'm losing track of which day was what!  

 Before heading to the dump to get rid of more ripped out junk

Before heading to the dump to get rid of more ripped out junk

I wish we had started the blog during this actual process because I'm having such a hard time trying to keep the timeline of exactly when things were happening in the day-by-day order.  But,  the next few days (or week?) were all dedicated to the rest of the kitchen cabinetry being built and then the counter tops coming to life.

 New LED marker lights and taillights have arrived!

New LED marker lights and taillights have arrived!

Our package from etrailer.com arrived!  All of our new running lights/marker lights, and taillights have arrived.  We didn't install these until later on, but we always get excited about packages.  The next few photos are of Tommy and Mark breaking down the slabs of Ambrosia Maple before gluing them up and clamping them.  I couldn't find the photos from the glue up phase, so we'll have to use our imagination.  After that, we had a few days of sanding and then we started coating the counter tops with Interlux Compass Clear in amber for that rich UV protected finish.  

 
 Breaking down the Ambrosia Maple for the counter tops

Breaking down the Ambrosia Maple for the counter tops

 After a night of sanding, gluing and clamping.  We have our counter tops cut to the shape and size we need.  

After a night of sanding, gluing and clamping.  We have our counter tops cut to the shape and size we need.  

 First coat of Interlux Compass Clear in amber on the bottom side of the counter tops.

First coat of Interlux Compass Clear in amber on the bottom side of the counter tops.

 

During the days we were sanding and sealing the counter tops, we mapped out how we wanted our new kitchen sink cabinetry to look, and Mark helped us build it!  Again, sorry for the lost footage of every single process.  A lot of the time we didn't have our phones out--our phones were mainly there for Pandora streaming for hours.  The next few photos are from when we brought the finished counter tops in side to see how they look and fit in the space.

IMG_8632.jpg

Okay, counter top fits nicely.  Now, time to flip it over and cut the hole for the sink (we hadn't found a sink quite yet), and cut the flip down counter space, so the counter isn't coming out in front of the window.

IMG_8621 (1).jpg
 Danielle continued adding the peel & seal.  We used it on our floors to add a layer of insulation.  the original floor didn't have any at all.  Just carpet laid over wood.

Danielle continued adding the peel & seal.  We used it on our floors to add a layer of insulation.  the original floor didn't have any at all.  Just carpet laid over wood.

 

We spent the next day driving all over town looking for a sink and a faucet.  Two things we had never thought of purchasing before this moment.  A full day of driving, a little bickering here and there, and four stores later...it FINALLY hit us that we should check IKEA for a sink and faucet that would have some style and still be on the cheaper side of kitchen accessories.  The next day we were cutting the whole for the sink and the faucet into our counter tops.

 Mark starting the first cut for the hole the sink would fit into

Mark starting the first cut for the hole the sink would fit into

 
 Hole for sink has been cut, and now we are dry fitting the sink 

Hole for sink has been cut, and now we are dry fitting the sink 

 
 Two dorks way too excited about putting in their first sink

Two dorks way too excited about putting in their first sink

 
 Hole for faucet was cut, and then the faucet was dry fitted

Hole for faucet was cut, and then the faucet was dry fitted

IMG_8687.jpg

Below I have added the names from IKEA for the sink and faucet along with the links to their website...You'll be able to click the photos of both the faucet and sink to go to the direct link.